Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ground Control to Major Tom

Okay, so there seems to be some money available in this blogging thing...or so I've been led to believe. And so I figured, "hey, my opinions are more important than everybody elses! Why SHOULDN'T I get paid for them?!" No...in fact, it's my God given OBLIGATION to tell other people how to think and act.

...I think that's the same inspiration that Stalin drew on...

...but no matter.

Anyway - I know that everybody says "Oh, I listen to everything...but I prefer [X]." Then when you ask for a peek at their collection, iPod, whatever-have-you...it's ALL [X]. Worse yet, it's all *shudder* RADIO rock.

Now, I DO listen to just about everything that I can get my hands on. And when I hear this, I usually drop a few strategic suggestions to liven up their catalog, and promptly change the subject. So I figured, "hey, I'll just write a fucking blog about it. Then when this happens again, I can just give them the URL. It's GENIUS!" I've seen few resources on how to build a better collection, so hey...that's something I can do.

I think the format I'll do this in is to suggest a variety of easily accessible albums that would fit easily into any collection, and hope that it gets any readers interested in finding more music within that style. That's what's worked for me, so hopefully it works for others.

The one thing I have to say, here and now - if you only pursue the music you like, then your tastes won't change. To improve your listening habits, you have to challenge yourself, and listen to the stuff that might not interest you right away. In fact, the stuff you HATE is the stuff you should be listening to three, or four, or five times until you get an ear for it.

I'm only doing this to improve my ability to write about music, so I'll write when I feel like it. That is, unless I actually CAN make a profit, in which case I could find time to schedule it.

So whatever, lets see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment